Mission & History
The Eagle Theatre is a non-profit, tax exempt 501(c)3 charity.
A Brief History
The Eagle Theatre’s beginnings were humble, with just a simple announcement printed in the local newspaper in June of 1914, stating that “Mr. Litke will put up a concrete building on his lot on Vine Street, for his moving picture winter theatre.” From that, the Eagle Theatre was born.
The Eagle Theatre functioned as a silent movie theatre and playhouse from 1914 until 1944, when it was then sold to the Pentecostal Assembly of God and converted into a church. The church occupied the building for 15 years, then sold it to Harry and Evelyn Hitman in 1959. The Hitman’s used the building for storage until 2006. By that time, the old building was on the verge of being demolition. Tracy Petrongolo, the head of the Hammonton’s arts and cultural committee, researched the building’s history and determined that it was worthy of preservation. What followed was a remarkable example of dedication by a devoted base of volunteers who were intent on seeing the theatre restored.
Since reopening in June of 2009, the Eagle Theatre has quickly grown into an artistic epicenter of the South Jersey region. Located in the heart of the Hammonton Art District, the Eagle Theatre of today features performances of a professional caliber in one of the most intimate and comfortable venues in the area. We look forward to sharing with you our theatre, our town, and the joy of the performing arts.